News and Stuff

In: News

2012-10-10: I’m sure everyone already knows this, but…

Remember Zoids? They’re back, in pog form! Wait, no. But they are coming back in 1/144 scale (like a certain Giant Human Like Battle Robots model line):

The name of the line is Modelers Spirit Series (MSS), by TomyTec instead of the TakaraTomy mothership. I wonder if the very generic name means there will be other, um, properties in the line. Kind of like how Robot Spirits does it. I don’t know what else Tomy owns that would fit in that line, though.

Anyway, start saving now, because these little bastards aren’t going to be cheap and the exchange rates are still bad if you’re paying in worthless US dollars. I probably could have resisted, but they had to do a Hammer Rock. And of course I just love Mini-mes.

Thanks to the Zoidspoison gang for keeping me in the loop!

Posted: 2012-10-10

7 Comments

1. Tristan said:

I wonder why they didn’t just do new smaller 1/72 stuff like guntiger/demantis?

Seems to me that would hit the same mark as these (simpler kits for new fans) and leave the door open to re-release motorised stuff too.

October 11th, 2012 at 3:34 am | #

2. then RCM said:

@Tristan: I’m guessing they wanted to have some familiar names in the line, in a new form. HMM is all “your favorite zoids, now super ultramega detailed and fragile!” This new line seems to be “your favorite zoids, now tiny!”

October 11th, 2012 at 12:45 pm | #

3. then Tristan said:

I guess I’m disappointed after all the “New Zoids in 2013!” talk.

Not that these are bad exactly. Just… I wanted actual new zoids :(

October 12th, 2012 at 4:19 am | #

4. then RCM said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. The last time they gave us actual new zoids we got Valga!

October 12th, 2012 at 8:59 pm | #

5. then Chris said:

Like em, but at 30 and 40 bucks minimum (eBay) for something so small I just can’t do it. Between the prices for these and HMMs it’s like they take pleasure in screwing ya. It’s just freaking plastic. I’m curious what a case costs from the factory. What’s the mark up?

May 1st, 2013 at 3:32 pm | #

6. then Chris said:

Oh and they also have those new D-style zoids which are super cute. Tempted by the deathsaurer and ultrasaurus with his gravity gun but again $30 and up.

May 1st, 2013 at 3:46 pm | #

7. then RCM said:

@Chris: a few years ago, all plastic got real expensive everywhere. Have you seen the prices of Transformers lately? Also, buying on ebay is part of the problem. If you can order from an actual shop (HLJ, Amiami), you won’t get that third-party seller markup.

Even with all that in mind, these 1/144 and D-style kits are still kind of steep. I got the Hammer Rock, but that’s probably all I’m doing from that line, unless something really awesome comes out.

And I kind of want a D-style Gustav, but I have to eat!

May 5th, 2013 at 7:47 pm | #