Status: Zoidmagnite gets first dibs
Last Modified: 2013-09-11
First Posted: 2009-01-05
Perhaps you’ve heard of the quality control issues with the King’s motor. If not, let me tell you: BEWARE! Many people are reporting that their motors do not work properly or at all, right out of the box. A sampling of problems: head won’t turn, arms won’t expand, motor won’t turn off, lights don’t work, purchase of kit didn’t make me more popular with ladies…
Mine seemed ok at first, but then after construction, the lights quit working. I took everything apart and looked inside the motor, wiggled things around, and no luck. Since I had the motor open, I decided to try and disable the “screaming” function—a horrible grating gear that sounds a lot like a dino roar. After some trial and error I managed to do that, and keep the arms in order (everything’s connected), but then I noticed the head wouldn’t turn. I thought I broke it until hearing complaints from others—I didn’t run the motor much before disabling the “screamer”, since I live in an apartment and it was late at night.
I tried tinkering around a bit more, and finally got fed up, because even if I did fix everything else, I was still stuck with nonworking lights. So that is why King Crapulas is getting the boot.
Update, the distant future: Back in November 2010, Zoidmagnite fixed it. The lights are now LEDs too. The arms are still a little odd in huggy mode (when I compare it to other pics/videos), but I’ll take “mostly” fixed over “completely screwed” any day.